Information about our school.
We, at RMES, strive to develop:
Respect and Responsibility,
Success for All.
We strive to develop, in cooperation with parents and community, the full potential of each student – intellectually, physically, emotionally, socially and spiritually – to empower and inspire them to become caring and responsible citizens.
Robert Melrose Elementary School is committed to:
- Establishing high levels of community/family involvement, working to improve students' academic and personal growth.
- Aligning curriculum, instruction, and assessment with Division and Provincial standards.
- Collaborating and communicating within our learning community as part of focused professional development.
- Creating a challenging learning environment that encourages high expectations for success and allows for individual differences and learning styles.
- Encouraging students to meet academic challenges with openness, enthusiasm and a willingness to solve problems.
- Building positive attitudes towards leading active, healthy lifestyles through quality, daily physical education and nutrition programs
- Promoting a safe, orderly, caring and supportive environment
- Nurturing high self-esteem and respect for others through the development of positive relationships with students and staff.
- Celebrating the pursuit of lifelong learning because we believe that everyone can become better thinkers and independent learners.
- Facilitating and encouraging a perspective that respects diverse views and personal responsibility
Promoting a safe, orderly, caring and supportive environment
Nurturing high self-esteem and respect for others through the development of positive relationships with students and staff.
Celebrating the pursuit of lifelong learning because we believe that everyone can become better thinkers and independent learners.
Facilitating and encouraging a perspective that respects diverse views and personal responsibility
Office Hours the School Secretary is available in the main office from 8:30-12:00 and 1:00 – 4:00. The principal is available in the office from 8:15 – 9:00 a.m. and 10:30 – 4:00 p.m.
8:40 a.m. school doors unlocked
8:55 a.m. classes begin
10:30 - 10:45 recess break
12:00 – 12:45 p.m. Lunch
12:45 - 1:00 p.m. SQUIRT
2:05 – 2:20 recess break
3:25 p.m. bus pupils dismissed for the day
3:30 p.m. town pupils dismissed for the day
Supervision is provided
8:45 – 8:55 a.m. (playground)
10:30 - 10:45 a.m. (playground)
12:00-12:45 p.m. (classroom, hallways, playground)
2:05 - 2:20 p.m. (playground)
3:25 - 3:30 (buses)
Doors to the school open at 8:40 A.M. Students are asked not to arrive before this time. Town students and non-bus students are expected to go directly home after dismissal at 3:30. Once they have gone home and entered their home they may return to play on the playground. There is no supervision provided on the playground after 3:30.
Kim Nicholls Principal, Grade 3/4, Grade 4 Math
Kelly Mills-Seib LRT, Prep Cover
Brandee Braaten Grade 1
Val Wilton Grade 2/3
Kelly Onyskiw Grade 3/4
Monique Gollings Kindergarten
Shelly Lissinna Grade 4/5, KO Phys. Ed,
Candice Patrick Band
Secretary Shelley Peterson
Librarian Sherry Romanus
Custodians Darren and Cheryl Kowalchuk
The SCC meets eight times per year (September, October, November, January, February, March, April, May) in the Library of Robert Melrose Elementary School. The AGM is held in January of each year, where elections take place. Members serve a two-year term.
At the monthly meetings, open to all parents, the SCC meets to makes decisions about RMES activities and related expenditures. The principal and one teacher from Robert Melrose Elementary attend every meeting to talk about school activities, curriculum, events and concerns.
Crystal Jaworski (Chair)
Tammy Lowey (Secretary, Treasurer)
Alisha Guy (Member)
Reiden Hodgits (Member)
Erin Cawkwell (Member)
HORIZON SCHOOL DIVISION CONTACTS
Horizon SD Office: 1-866-966-2558
Director of Education Kevin Garinger
Division Board Member Wil Lengyel
School Case Worker Danny Hiscock
Computer Technician Elaina Bindig
Maintenance Gerry Shirley
HOUSED IN OUR BUILDING
Kelvington Playschool Room 9
Horizon School Division Computer Technician
Elaina Bindig – Room 5