Skip to main content
Horizon School Division
Creating a better world, one student at a time.
Reports and Statistics
Wall of Fame
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy
"From the Board"
Forms for Board Members
Safe & Caring Schools
Curriculum & Instruction
Human Resource Services
Awards and Recognition
Administrative Procedures & Forms
School Community Councils
SGF Portal Login Page
SCC Annual Meeting & Elections
SCC Functions, Powers & Constitution
Student Recognition Award
Learning Improvement Plans
2018-19 HCAA Calendar
Track & Field
Non-Faculty Coach Application
HCAA Results Archive
Maplewood / Student Information System
Library Resource Centre
Bring Your Own Device
Google for Education
AP 404 - Criminal Record Checks for Employees
Horizon School Division believes in providing a safe and caring environment for all students and staff. As one factor in ensuring this belief, employment in Horizon School Division shall be contingent upon the receipt of a current Criminal Record Check and Vulnerable Sector Check.
The following procedure applies to all employed personnel.
1. All employees of Horizon School Division are required to submit a Criminal Record Check including a Vulnerable Sector Check prior to beginning their employment
2. The cost incurred in obtaining a Criminal Record Check is the sole responsibility of the employee.
3. An employee is responsible for providing a Criminal Record Check that has been completed within 90 days of application to the Division. Only original documentation will be accepted.
4. In the event further information is required regarding the criminal record status of an employee, the employee shall be required to sign an affidavit. The employee's affidavit shall remain in effect until such time as the completed Criminal Record Check has been received. The Director of Education (or designate) may, at his or her discretion, request updates regarding the status of the Criminal Record Check.
5. An employee who has been charged with a criminal offense shall, within 2 working days, inform the Director of Education (or designate) of the said charges in writing.
6. An employee who fails to disclose criminal charges within the timeframe noted in clause 5, or who submts inaccurate, false or misleading information to the Director of Education (or designate), is subject to disciplinary action up to and including termination for just cause.
7. The Director of Education will ensure a completed Criminal Record Check is kept on file for each employee.
Reference: Sections 85, 87, 109, Education Act
Controlled Drug and Substance Act
Criminal Code of Canada
Criminal Records Act
Food and Drugs Act
Narcotics Control Act
Criminal Records Regulations
March 21, 2011
Revised September 14, 2015
Revised December 21, 2016