The Horizon School Division Board of Education has established the Student Recognition Award, which honours a graduating student from each high school in the Division. Horizon School Division’s values are Accountability, Community, Diversity, Relationships, and Trust.
1. Each principal, in consultation with staff, will select one of their eligible grade 12 graduating students.
2. Selection criteria shall include:
2.1. Expected completion of Grade 12 at a school within Horizon School Division
2.2. Student achievement in a wide range of pursuits that may include:
- Effort to succeed;
- Academic success;
- Practice of traditional cultural skills;
- Community service; and
- Special talents and/or distinctions in areas such as fine arts, athletics, entrepreneurship, and leadership.
3. Applications must include:
3.1. An official copy of the student's high school transcripts from Ministry of Education, or a copy of the student's most current report card verified by the principal.
3.2. A letter of recommendation from the school principal, teacher, supervisor, counsellor or someone from a reference list, which speaks to the student's achievement in the aforementioned pursuits.
3.3. A letter of interest from the student that includes his/her goals following graduation and highlights their achievements of the aforementioned pursuits.
3.4. A copy of AF 395 - Student Recognition Award Nomination Form.
4. The Student Recognition Award will be comprised of:
4.1. A commemorative gift to be presented by the subdivision trustee or the Director (or designate).
4.2. A $500 cash gift, mailed to the recipient upon proof of graduation.
4.2.1. The total amount of the gift will be reported on a T4A and must be included in the recipient's taxable income in the year of receipt. This amount is eligible for a scholarship exemption.
April 1, 2011
Revised December 20, 2013
April 5, 2018