The Board has retained in Policy 2 the right to decide school attendance area boundaries as per The Education Act, 1995.
1. Horizon School Attendance Area Boundary descriptions are available upon request from the Transportation Department or Central Office.
2. Requests for changes will be considered by the Division. The requests for changes to the boundaries of established attendance areas will be considered subject to the following:
2.1. Changes will only be considered as long as the request is in time to permit adjustments to class groupings or arrangement in schools and/or bus routes and schedules before school commences in the autumn of each year. The date for receipt of applications for a change will be no later than July 1 of any year;
2.2. The alteration in the attendance area boundary cannot form an “island” of land left in the attendance area from which the land was transferred; and
2.3. The person(s) requesting the change in boundaries within the Horizon School Division shall communicate in writing to the Superintendent of Operations explaining the proposed change.
3. Notification to the following parties affected by the request is to be sent upon receipt of a request for alteration in the existing boundaries: Director, Chief Financial Officer, Trustee(s), SCC(s), area Superintendent(s), and principal(s).
4. The Superintendent of Operations shall investigate and gather the appropriate and necessary information and present it to the Director.
5. If the applicant disagrees with the decision of the Director, they may appeal to the Board.
6. The decision of the Board shall be final and their decision shall be communicated in writing to the applicant for the change with copies to Director, Chief Financial Officer, Trustee(s), SCC(s), Area Superintendent(s), principal(s), and the Superintendent of Operations.
Reference: Section 85, 87, 109, 156, 175, 194, 196, Education Act
March 30, 2011