Students have a right to effective and confidential professional support services within the capacity of Horizon School Division and in accordance with this procedure.
Horizon School Division provides professional support services in the following areas:
- Speech and language pathology;
- Occupational therapy; and
1. Accessing Professional Support Services
1. 1. Students who receive support from any of the above professional support services must have a Learning Supports Referral completed on CLEVR and approved by the Supervisor of Student Services.
A Learning Supports Referral is a form that documents a request for services and subsequent written permission by parents. The referral form applies to services provided by:
1.1.1. Speech Language Pathologist;
1.1.3. Occupational Therapist; and
1.1.4. Student Counsellor.
1. 2. Once the Supervisor of Student Services approves the Learning Supports Referral, the referral will be forwarded to the respective professional support provider by e-mail.
1. 3. Parent/caregiver and family involvement in the work of professional support personnel, when deemed appropriate by that professional, can result in more effective service to students.
1. 4. Verbal permission (date and time should be documented) from parents/caregivers will be accepted when it is necessary to expedite a referral.
2. Access to counselling services specifically will be provided in accordance with this procedure and as set out in AP 240 - Student Counselling.
Reference: Sections 85, 87 Education Act
March 25, 2011
Revised February 12, 2018