Horizon School Division strives to provide safe, comfortable and healthy environments for all students, employees, community partners, visitors and guests.
1. All buildings and property owned by Horizon School Division shall be free from the use of tobacco and tobacco products, including the use of electronic cigarettes.
2. All buses and other kinds of vehicles, either contracted or privately owned, will be free from the use of tobacco, tobacco related products or electronic cigarettes while traveling to or from school related or division related activities.
3. Students who do not comply with this procedure may face consequences.
4. Employees who do not comply may receive a verbal warning, written reprimand, suspension with or without pay, and may face dismissal.
5. Community partners who do not abide by the procedure will receive written notice that any further incident will result in the cancellation of any future scheduled events they may sponsor.
6. Individuals, groups or organizations that rent a Division owned facility and do not comply with the procedure will be informed they will not be able to book any future events in Division owned facilities or on Division owned properties.
7. Guests, visitors and other persons found to be smoking or using tobacco products, including electronic cigarettes, in a Division owned building or on Division owned property shall be informed of this procedure by the employee in charge of the facility, and requested to desist. If they fail to do so they will be asked to leave.
8. This prohibition does not apply to the use of tobacco for ceremonial events.
Electronic Cigarette refers to a handheld device containing a liquid that is vapourized and inhaled, and includes but is not limited to electronic cigarettes, e-cigarettes, vapourizer cigarettes, personal vapourizers and electronic nicotine delivery systems.
Reference: Sections 85, 87, 108, 109, 150, 151, 152, 153, 154, 175, Education Act
Date April 16, 2013
Revised October 13, 2017