The Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP) is developed collaboratively at the Provincial Leadership Team (PLT) level. It is approved by Boards of Education and First Nation/Métis authorities and outlines the goals for all students in the province of Saskatchewan. The Horizon Board of Education aligns their goals as a system to the ESSP through Horizon School Division’s Strategic Plan. The school community, through the leadership of the principal, must develop their Learning Improvement Plan (LIP) in alignment with the Horizon School Division’s Strategic Plan.
It is understood that student learning is best served when the goals of the Ministry of Education, Horizon School Division and the school community are aligned. Procedures
1. The provincial goals of education have been brought into focus through the Education Sector Strategic Plan (ESSP).
2. The Board has, through its evaluation of students’ learning achievement and in alignment with the provincial outcomes found in the ESSP, reserved the right to set its goals as found in Horizon School Division’s Strategic Plan.
3. The Learning Improvement Plan (LIP) is to be developed at the school by the principal and staff, in consultation with the School Community Council and shall reflect Horizon School Division’s student learning goals as outlined in Horizon School Division’s Strategic Plan.
3.1. A Learning Improvement Plan template will be developed by the Director of Education and distributed to schools to guide their school’s learning improvement planning;
3.2. Each school will have their data prepopulated in the template; and
3.3. Each school’s LIP shall take into consideration the populated school data and locally determined student achievement data.
4. The Director of Education shall annually review the draft school Learning Improvement Plan for compliance with the requirements noted above.
5. The Director of Education shall approve the LIP prior to the sign-off by the Principal and the School Community Council Chair.
6. The Director, and any other staff as deemed necessary by the Director, will meet with the principal to review and discuss the Learning Improvement Plan three times annually.
6.1. The focus of the fall meeting will include:
6.1.1. Review of the fall school data collection and results found in the LIP school template;
6.1.2. Review of the locally determined data collection and results;
6.1.3. Review of the plans, strategies, measures and interventions to foster continuous student learning improvement in relation to the school goals; and
6.1.4. SCC involvement in the creation of the LIP.
6.2. The winter meeting will focus on meeting the Literacy Goals of Horizon School Division. Discussion will include:
6.2.1. Running records;
6.2.2. Supports for literacy development; and
6.2.3. Initial ideas for preventing summer slide.
6.3. The spring meeting will focus on:
6.3.1. Review of the spring school data collection and results found in the LIP school template;
6.3.2. Review of locally determined data collection and result;
6.3.3. Review of the plans, strategies, measures and interventions to foster continuous student learning improvement in relation to the school goals;
6.3.4 Close examine growth of students from fall to spring on a grade by grade basis, as well as a thorough examination of individual growth, individual celebrations will be noted and applauded;
6.3.5 Instructional strategies and an examination of successful instructional practices;
6.3.6 Plans for the upcoming school year;
6.3.7 Library circulation and plans for building classroom libraries, at each grade level; and
6.3.8 School level summer slide prevention plans.
Reference: Section 109, Education Act
March 25, 2011
Revised: November 16, 2015
June 14, 2017